Song of Liberation
480. Having established his mind for some time in
the supreme God, he arose from supreme bliss and uttered these words.
481. My intellect has vanished and my mental activities have been
swallowed up in the realisation of the oneness of myself and God. I no
longer know this from that, nor what or how great this unsurpassed joy
482. Words cannot express nor the mind conceive the greatness of the
ocean of the supreme God, full of the nectar of bliss. Like the state of
a hail-stone fallen into the ocean, my mind has now melted away in the
tiniest fraction of it, fulfilled by its essential nature of Bliss.
483. Where has the world gone? Who has removed it, or where has it
disappeared to? I saw it only just now, and now it is not there. This a
484. In the great ocean filled with the nectar of the indivisible
bliss of God, what is to be got rid of, what is to be held onto, what is
there apart from oneself and what has any characteristics of its own?
485. I can neither see, hear or experience anything else there, as it
is I who exist there by myself with the characteristics of Being and
486. Salutation upon salutation to you, great guru, free from
attachment, the embodiment of absolute Truth, with the nature of ever
non-dual bliss, the sea of eternal compassion on earth.
487. Your very glance has soothed like gentle moonlight the weariness
produced by the great heat of samsara, and I have immediately attained
my own true everlasting home, the abode of imperishable glory and bliss.
488. Through your grace I am blessed, I have achieved the goal, I am
freed from the bonds of samsara, I am eternal bliss by nature, and
489. I am free, I am bodiless, I am without sex and indestructible. I
am at peace, I am infinite, without blemish and eternal.
490. I am not the doer and I am not the reaper of the consequences. I
am unchanging and without activity. I am pure awareness by nature, I am
perfect and forever blessed.
491. I am distinct from the seer, hearer, speaker, doer and
experiencer. I am eternal, undivided, actionless, limitless, unattached
- perfect awareness by nature.
492. I am neither this nor that, but the pure supreme reality which
illuminates them both. I am God, the indivisible, devoid of inside and
493. I am uncomparable, beginningless Reality. I am far from such
thoughts as "you", "me", and "this". I am eternal bliss, the Truth, the
non-dual God himself.
494. I am Narayana, I am the slayer of Naraka and of Pura. I am the
supreme Person and the Lord. I am indivisible awareness, the witness of
everything. I have no master and I am without any sense of "me" and
495. I abide in all creatures, being the very knowledge which is
their inner and outer support. I myself am the ejoyer and all enjoyment,
in fact whatever I experienced before now.
496. In me who am the ocean of infinite joy the manifold waves of the
universe arise and come to an end, impelled by the winds of Maya.
497. Ideas like "material" are mistakenly imagined about me by people
under the influence of their presuppositions, as are divisions of time
like kalpas, years, half-years and seasons, dividing the indivisible and
498. The presuppositions of the severely deluded can never affect the
underlying reality, just as the great torrent of a mirage flood cannot
wet a desert land.
499. Like space, I am beyond contamination. Like the sun, I am
distinct from the things illuminated. Like a mountain, I am always
immovable. Like the ocean, I am boundless.
500. I am no more bound to the body than the sky is to a cloud, so
how can I be affected by its states of waking, dreaming and deep sleep?
501. Imagined attributes added to one's true nature come and go. They
create karma and experience its effects. They grow old and die, but I
always remain immovable like mount Kudrali.
502. There is no outward turning nor turning back for me, who am
always the same and indivisible. How can that perform actions which is
single, of one nature, without parts and complete, like space?
503. How can there be good and bad deeds for me who am organless,
mindless, changeless and formless, and experience only indivisible joy?
The scriptures themselves
declare "he is not affected" (Brihadaranyaka
504. Heat or cold, the pleasant or the unpleasant coming into contact
with a man's shadow in no way affect the man himself who is quite
distinct from his shadow.
505. The qualities of things seen do not touch the seer, who is quite
distinct from them, changeless and unaffected, just as household objects
do not touch the lamp there.
506. Like the sun's mere witnessing of actions, like fire's
non-involvement with the things it is burning, and like the relationship
of a rope to the idea superimposed on it, so is the unchanging
consciousness within me.
507. I neither do nor make things happen. I neither experience nor
cause to experience. I neither see nor make others see. I am that
supreme light without attributes.
508. When intervening factors (the water) move, the ignorant ascribe
the movement of the reflection to the object itself, like the sun which
is actually immovable. They think "I am the doer", "I am the reaper of
the consequences", and "Alas, I am being killed."
509. Whether my physical body falls into water or onto dry land, I am
not dirtied by their qualities, just as space is not affected by the
qualities of a jar it is in.
510. Such states as thinking oneself the doer or the reaper of the
consequences, being wicked, drunk, stupid, bound or free are false
assumptions of the understanding, and do not apply in reality to one's
true self, the supreme, perfect and non-dual God.
511. Let there be tens of changes on the natural level, hundreds of
changes, thousands of changes. What is that to me, who am unattached
consciousness? The clouds never touch the sky.
512. I am that non-dual God, who like space is subtle and without
beginning or end, and in whom all this from the unmanifest down to the
material is displayed as no more than an appearance.
513. I am that non-dual God who is eternal, pure, unmoving and
imageless, the support of everything, the illuminator of all objects,
manifest in all forms and all-pervading, and yet empty of everything.
514. I am that non-dual God who is infinite Truth, Knowledge and
Bliss, who transcends the endless modifications of Maya, who is one's
own reality and to be experienced within.
515. I am actionless, changeless, partless, formless, imageless,
endless and supportless - one without a second.
516. I am the reality in everything. I am everything and I am the
non-dual beyond everything. I am perfect indivisible awareness and I am
517. I have received this glory of the sovereignty over myself and
over the world by the compassion of your grace, noble and great-souled
guru. Salutation upon salutation to you, and again salutation.
518. You, my teacher, have my supreme saviour, waking me up from
sleep through your infinite compassion, lost in a vast dream as I was
and afflicted every day by countless troubles in the Maya-created forest
of birth, old age and death, and tormented by the tiger of this feeling
myself the doer.
519. Salutation to you, King of gurus, who remain always the same in
your greatness. Salutation to you who are manifest as all this that we